Monday, August 31, 2009

Summit Brews to You


Light and fast is the mantra of the new era of climbers, which sometimes makes last minute packing decisions at the trailhead painstakingly difficult. The sturdy tent typically takes a seat to the lightweight tarp; camp shoes are an accoutrement so luxurious, yet so unnecessary. Thus, after an hours worth of debate and debacle, packs carry the bare minimum.

 Why is so much comfort sacrificed for the sake of a little weight off the shoulders?

 While the answer varies individually, there’s one simple reason why I choose to climb sans comfort… the summit brew(s).


 My Oregonian roots have grounded a personal passion for beer and the outdoors, and the combination of the two might as well be heaven on Earth. I might camp atop a windy, frigid mountain with only a thermal and thin raincoat for layers, but the two stouts I packed in place of the insulating layer provide all the warmth and comfort I need. 

Think I'm crazy? Check out the other adventure junkies who love good brew as much as I do at UpaDowna (Up a mountain, Down a beer).


1 comment: